Saturday, February 23, 2008

Food Dehydrator

My new food dehydrator arrived in the mail yesterday! I have good and bad news. Good news is, the apple-cinnamon-almond-agave cookies are pretty good. Bad news is, after twelve hours of working its magic, the dehydrator started smelling funny. Nothing was burning, but a weird plastic and unnatural smell wafting from the machine. It took a few hours to get rid of the smell (with the aid of incense) and now I feel like the cookies are tainted with fumes. There is a lot of talk lately about toxic chemicals released from plastics, so I am a little wary. I should have sprung for the Cadillac of dehydrators, but I had a gift certificate to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and they only offer this model. I'll give it another spin this week and see how things pan out.

The more I experiment with my diet and peel away layers of unhealthy eating habits, the more I have to face what is truly good for my body and let go of life long (comforting) dietary habits. It has become a personal science experiment. Even natural sugars are giving me the jitters now. I'm going to start increasing my greens and decreasing my fruits. Also, my cravings for regular cookies, baked goods, and chocolate are back to zero after only a week of abstaining from these sugary treats. They say it takes 21 days to break a habit, so we'll see how I feel come March.

I keep adding books to my reading list. At the moment, I am reading The China Study, In Defense of Food, My Antonia, and the most recent addition: Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga by Rolf Gates and Katrina Kenison. All excellent.

I've done a lot of cooking this weekend. Yesterday, I made "Wheat" Balls, whole wheat angel hair pasta, and a carrot-red pepper marinara sauce. Tonight, I made Falafel and salad. Usually, I try to go raw all day except for dinner. I also watched Becoming Jane and The Motorcycle Diaries this evening with my husband. Both also excellent. Last night, we watched Michael Clayton. I guess we're getting ready for the Oscars.

xoxo,
Sundari

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eek! That's too bad about the new dehydrator. Hopefully it's just a first-time-use kind of thing!